Monday, November 19, 2018

The Oxymoron of the Century: Irresistible Math



When I was in high school, I loved school. Yes, I enjoyed having breaks and I didn't love waking up early, but I thoroughly enjoyed going to school.

I came home, did my homework, and then enjoyed my hobbies.

In class, I was polite, hard-working, and a total teacher's pet.

I wasn't the smartest or best student, but I worked really hard to achieve my goals.

Thinking back to my math classes specifically, I loved when I had teacher's who were really structured in their lessons.

We had a warm-up, we went over the homework (allowing time to ask for questions), we took very detailed notes with example problems that the teacher worked through, and then we had time for homework.

I LOVED this process. It made sense to me. It allowed me to see exactly how to do a problem, and then allowed me time to try the same problems in class.

I am a very organized individual, so I loved the structure these classes provided me with.

In college, we learned how to integrate technology, how to make lessons more project-based, and how to make math exciting.

But honestly? It just felt like SO much more work. 

The idea of planning these lessons, executing them, managing behavior, grading them... No thanks! I would rather just stick to teaching math the way I learned it. 

And that's exactly what I did last year. And I truly felt that for the most part, my students excelled because they were shown exactly what to do. I adopted the same teaching styles that I was exposed to. 

This was not the case my first year of teaching. 

I taught 8th grade math at Glacier Middle School, and it happened to be their very first year with a new curriculum. This curriculum was very focused on student discovery.

Each day, the students were given new problems to work through, and basically had to follow the process in order to learn how to complete the problems. 

I was basically just a facilitator. 

And with 8th graders, that meant I spent 90% of my day managing behavior, trying to get students on task, and pulling my hair out.

The students told me that they didn't feel like I was teaching them anything.

So, when I began teaching here at EHS, I was SO EXCITED to be able to teach the way I wanted to.

And then, this year we were introduced to the new Theory of Action; challenged to make our lessons Irresistible, Deep, Exciting, and Authentic.

HORRIFYING FLASHBACKS TO MY FIRST YEAR OF TEACHING.

All I could think about was how much work this would be... Especially since this time we weren't given a curriculum, we had to come up with this on our own!

I will be honest, I was terrified. I didn't want to go back to just being a facilitator.

But, the more we talked about it, and the more I started brain storming with others, some of my fears started being laid to rest.

I have to admit, I know how boring note taking can be. I know not all of my students can learn well with that structure, so there has to be a way that I can engage them more.

It has been a difficult journey so far, but it's just the beginning!

I am excited to have the opportunity to re-evaluate my teaching strategies, and work with my colleagues to come up with more engaging and exciting lessons.

3 comments:

  1. It's important to remember that this is one style of learning and teaching that is effective for a portion of students, and that is fantastic when those two styles work together.

    There are definitely good teaching practices and classroom management skills that are close to universal. And I can certainly sympathize with the "chaos" that comes with these unstructured projects.

    You obviously have some strengths that can be implemented in the classroom so keep doing that. But, don't be afraid of the chaos. Some students will thrive on that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even tell you how many times I've had horrifying flashbacks to some of the things I tried my first year teaching. I was like, "A little chaos is a good thing!" When the reality was that it was just chaos, not productive chaos. Looking back, I realized that I just wasn't ready. There were some basic components of teaching that I needed to get down. Now that I've refined my practice, I've been able to revisit some of the strategies and tactics that didn't work in my first year, and it has been an entirely different experience. You've got this! It's scary, but trying something new has always been what brings back my passion and makes me excited to teach every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both comments above. Technology should allow for more different ways not this way OR that way. It shouldn't be a OR it needs to be an AND. We can teach this way AND that way AND that way to reach all students. That's what I try to remind myself of constantly....there are a lot of ways to do it and how do I bring all those ways into my classroom and allow students to choose which way works best for them. That to me is the challenge of being an educator.

    ReplyDelete